Friday, July 03, 2015

Back on Eidos in Aktio and Preveza

Sunrise in Aktio
I arrived in Aktio at the end of May and spent three days (with help of a young girl) cleaning! After two winters and a summer of no attention, Eidos was in a sorry state. Finally she was livable again and then it was time to check the engine, through hulls and all the rest that is required of a boat that is to go back to sea.

It took a month to launch Eidos, but finally she is floating! I found a great way to become inspired about doing drudgery maintenance jobs such as crawling into the stern bilge through a VERY small gas locker to check and lubricate valves and hose clamps - make a note in the log of EVERY job I do no matter how small.
After a month in the boat yard, I had 30 pages of jobs accomplished.
For someone who is usually in drifting mode, that is something. However, I did want to go sailing before the summer was over! I only worked in the mornings, rising at six, going for a walk on the beach and starting after breakfast about eight before it got really hot, so I had several things done by 9:30. This way I got to go to town for a couple of hours on the boat yard transport, have a lovely coffee and a plate of loukoumades in my favourite cafe, buy some supplies and groceries and be back for lunch.
Then, a large Greek salad and a nap for a couple of hours followed by a swim and a shower. In the late afternoon when it started to cool off again, I might tackle another job, perhaps inside. The evening I spent socializing either in the library of the boat yard or at my favourite taverna, Panos.

Launch day
After launching, Eidos spent another week at the Aktio boat yard dock, getting a galley pump sorted, replacing halyards and other jobs, then yesterday, I motored over across the bay to Preveza to enjoy some of the night life that I have so far been hearing about but not been able to experience up close.

Preveza across Amvrakikos Bay
Last night, there was a political rally and speeches on the quay which was quite moving, since this week is very important for the Greek people as they will vote in a referendum on July 5 as to whether accept or reject the latest austerity measures the European council has insisted on. Many posters of OXI (NO) are plastered all over town and it reminds one of the OXI the Greeks said to the Nazis during the Second World War. Understandably, the Greeks I spoke to are anxious about the future of their country.

The evening was especially beautiful once the full moon rose across the bay and bathed the sea in a lovely orange glow.




Eidos in Preveza - full moon rise over Aktio








 Speaking of the night life that I wanted to experience - I got more than I  wanted - loud disco music from two competing bars until 5 a.m. every night of the week right next to where the boats are moored on the town quay.
Tough times in Greece - these young men are excellent musicians

No comments: