Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Come sail in the Ionian next summer

Sometimes we just want to feel the earth under our feet for awhile, to grow a garden, perhaps to get to know our neighbours a little bit better than we do while cruising, and so we anchor somewhere or even, horrors, haul out our boat and live in a boat yard. This is exactly what I have been doing for the past few years.

During this time I published a magazine and have met many wonderful people. I am learning Greek, doing some inland travel and now and then some boat work. I love Greece and the Ionian, want to see more of it and so plan to launch Eidos in spring to do a bit more local cruising.

Once again I will be offering sailing opportunities during the summer to like minded people with the goal of seeing more of the Ionian, staying in one place longer and exploring more inland. Most of the time when cruising, we only see the harbours and to tell you the truth, after awhile, they all begin to look the same. I often catch myself remembering the scene from some port and not remembering which country it was in, much less what city. 

Motor sailing along the north coast of Mallorca
Inland, there are ancient ruins everywhere, hiking trails, ecological sanctuaries, and lovely mountain villages. So, the plan is to sail one day and then spend a few days exploring inland. Perhaps rent a car or a scooter, or take the local bus. Then we can go hiking, visit a monastery, spend the day swimming, or see the nearby town. Perhaps there is a special festival in a few days, so we'll stay and wait. No need to rush. No need to add up miles. And we can use Eidos as a base.

I will be publishing The Ionian magazine from April to October, so this will also be a working cruise for me, and I think that this can work quite well - it involves about a week of intensive concentration on the laptop but the rest of the month there is plenty of time for sailing and exploring. I will also be offering basic Greek lessons to anyone who is interested.

So, this is an invitation for you to come and visit for a week, a month or the whole summer. And if you'd like to help with launching, that would be wonderful. Shared expenses, shared work, shared fun. I'll be updating this post as I firm up my plans a bit more so please keep checking.

No comments: