Tuesday, April 07, 2020

Day 24 of lockdown. Good news.

The Greeks (as well as the rest of us, expats, residents, visitors, and yachts people) have been promised that if we behave over the upcoming Easter holidays and stay home rather than travel to native villages and thus risk spreading the virus to elderly relatives and friends, the lockdown might be eased somewhat towards the end of April. 

Greece has done an amazing job keeping the virus at bay by quickly enforcing strict lockdown at the beginning of March and the results are showing. Fewer cases and deaths than several other countries in Europe with a similar population and characteristics.

This doesn't mean that the virus has been eradicated, it only means that the hospitals are able to handle the cases that arrive at their doors. The COVID-19 is bound to strike regularly and keeping safe will be very important for everyone until a strong vaccine is found or until most of the population becomes immune to it and it will die out. 

We are still not allowed to go out unless for shopping once a week, for exercise or to the doctor. I have been staying on board except to run or shop every second or third day and spent my time writing, cleaning the boat, cooking and sorting through my stuff.

Perhaps if all goes well, in another three weeks of this self-isolation I can leave the marina and sail again. I am longing to anchor out and swim although it has been quite cold recently. 

Today was the first day that the sun came out after almost a week of rain, wind, and clouds. In fact, last night I saw the most amazing full moon - what's called a super moon - looking much bigger than normal due to some atmospheric conditions.

I took this opportunity of clear weather to hang out the bedding to air out, pull out the quarter berth mattress to air as well, sent laundry out to be washed and dried and moved my bed back to the v-berth for the upcoming summer.


The quarter berth, where I slept all winter is now empty, so taking the opportunity, I will be sanding and varnishing it over the next few days. I'm using the heater much less and hopefully will soon be able to put it away until the next winter.

No comments: