Sunday, April 05, 2020

Day 22. Home experiment gone flat

Having run out of my favourite bakery ciabatta, I attempted to make my own sourdough one yesterday. The sourdough itself seemed fine and was bubbling as it should. I kept feeding it flour each morning for a week as per instructions, but when it came to baking it, it absolutely flopped. It tastes fine, given that I put too much salt in it, but it is all squashed inside. Never mind, at least I won't be gorging myself on freshly baked bread and gaining unnecessary kilos and it will last at least until tomorrow when I can get more from the bakery.



I've been tackling boat cleaning projects, setting the timer for 5, 10 or 15 minutes depending on how revolting the job is and then ticking it off on the Google calendar. Of course, after each one, I get a nice reward: a piece of chocolate, a cup of tea or a half-hour of surfing. Slowly, the boat is starting to look more like a boat than a hovel. 

This morning, even though it was overcast and cold, I went for a 6km run on my usual route. Few people out running, walking and cycling but easy to avoid and stay 2 m away. Cold fizzy water from the corner store for a reward. 

My writing is going well, I only write for 30 minutes each morning using the audio prompts I made up and modeled after the C25K app I used to get me to run. Three minutes to prepare, ten minutes to write or edit, three minutes for a break, then another ten minutes of work followed by three minutes to save, sync and back up my work. A great feeling of accomplishment.

The town is awfully quiet without the cafes being open. It feels like a ghost town. Very sad. The owners and staff must be having a hard time making ends meet without the income. I hope the government is helping.

Statistics: Total number of tests: 25,453, Cases: 1,735, Intubated: 83, Deaths: 73, Released from hospital: 10

No comments: