Friday, March 27, 2020

Day 13. Update

It's been stormy for the past two days, so I stayed home and cleaned more pots, sorted through more clothes and made a new lining for my summer straw basket.

And made a pot of soup.

Put some dough for bread to rise.

Shredded cabbage for sauerkraut.

Strained and fed the milk kefir.
And here is the finished bread.
So, as you can see, I have plenty to do onboard. 

In the afternoon, the sun came out for a bit, so I went for a 6km run towards the beach. I am now on week 10 of the couch to 10km program and it was not easy. It's supposed to rain off and on all week, so I'll need to get out even when the weather is not ideal or I'll lose my tempo. 

Sadly, someone in Vonitsa has lost his boat in the storm. It is being lifted out today. Friends have sent me these photos. The owner was warned that it was not a safe place to leave the boat there but he ignored my friends and went back to Germany. The authorities are trying to find him now. He will owe quite a bit of money for the salvage if he wants his boat back.


As of last night, there are now 966 cases of coronavirus in Greece with 28 dead including two people in their 40s without any previous health conditions. Why did they die? It seems that the medical staff told them to self isolate at home and because of their young age didn't take their condition seriously enough. By the time they arrived at the hospital, it was too late. Of those who died, 23 were men and 5 were women. Most of them had underlying health conditions. Greece is testing now and 13,477 tests have been conducted, so 7% of the people tested were positive for the virus.

Here is my idea on how to limit your chances of catching the virus: go shopping only once a week then isolate for the rest of the time. If you have caught it, the symptoms should start to appear within that time. This way you will not spread it further during the week of self-isolation and while on your own, rest, sleep, eat well and look after yourself so that your body is strong enough to fight off the virus. If you did not catch it, then you are free to go out again the following week. 

More news: Due to the lack of airplanes flying in and out of Greece, the mail system is shutting down. Canada is one of the few countries where mail can still be delivered at this time. Also, our weekly farmers' market has been canceled for the second week.

I decided to stay in the marina until the end of April. Let's hope that we will all be able to do what we want to by then and those of us who want to sail, can do so once again.

Freedom is the main reason why I sail and live on a boat. Freedom to come and go, travel while taking my home with me. Yet, at the moment all our freedom of movement has been denied.

No comments: