Monday, April 08, 2024

Swallowing the Anchor?

Usually, after the end of the season of sailing, I haul out my boat and go traveling. And so, last fall I decided to finally revisit my hometown in Poland. My sister has settled there and it gave us an opportunity to get to know each other again after many years of being apart. I also needed to file some documents, so that I could finally have a legal place of residence. I opened a bank account, transferred my pension, rented an apartment, joined some clubs and reconnected with my elementary school friends. It felt good to have a permanent base. I found a favorite cafe which offered exposure to whatever sun there was in winter. I joined a local hiking group, and attended church on Sundays. 
I began to think that perhaps it was time to sell Eidos and move permanently on land. After all, I was not getting any younger. So, in early April, I returned to Greece and to my boat with the intention of packing my things to take back to Poland. 
Of course, I should have remembered the power of the Greek sunshine and the draw of the sea. I am now in limbo land where I cannot decide what to do next. I could of course follow my original plan and prepare to sell my boat. But as I look around at what has been my home for the past 20 years, I cannot seem to be able to move. I have a hard time binning even an empty jar. So many years of memories! On the other hand, the transmission needs repairing, the bilge pump needs replacing, and the boat yard owner is asking how soon will I launch. Perhaps I should get the jobs done before listing the boat. Perhaps I should stay on board to show her to prospective buyers. Perhaps I should take her back to the Ionian where some friends could look after her if I can't. I want to pass her on to a new owner in as good condition as possible so that he or she can love her the way I have. 
If I hadn't just signed a lease on an apartment, the decision would have been easy. But a couple of months ago I really did think that I would stay in my hometown permanently. I felt like, after many years of being a nomad, I finally found a place where I belong. But perhaps, the nomad in me is not quite done exploring. And perhaps it's not the right time to let go of my magic carpet quite yet.

No comments: