Friday, July 17, 2020

Getting my lights working again

My neighbour in Vonitsa harbour, Barry is a professional tree topper, so I asked him if he would be willing to check the lights on my mast. Most of them were not working. The one at the very top, the anchor light I was most concerned about, but also the steaming light and the running lights. Only one of the deck lights was functioning. 
Happily, Barry agreed. With the help of Steve, another neighbour, and a prussic knot, Barry went up to check. 
It turned out that I needed new fixtures, not just lightbulbs. Luckily, the wiring was still in good enough condition.
So, I bought a new trylight and new leads for the steaming light. The trylight will replace the anchor light at the top and take care of the running lights at the same time which are now at deck level. Not a good place for them when in big seas.
Barry went up again the next day and repaired the steaming light at the spreader level. However, the trylight needs three wires and I only have two at the top of the mast. He promised to take care of it after he returns from another job helping his brother. 
We celebrated the partial success with a BBQ on board Eidos before he left. 

No comments: