Monday, March 30, 2020

Day 16. Shopping and boat maintenance.

The morning dawned clear and cold. It's nearly April but still, I need to turn the heater on first thing after getting up. Rest day from running today, so after the morning VHF meeting with the manager, I went shopping (with permission, of course). Sending SMS with number 2 for shopping or 6 for exercise, my name and address is so easy, I worry that one day I may forget. Rob, my neighbour was on the dock checking his boat and he asked if I had remembered to get permission. Good to have a backup. He and I don't spend a lot of time together because he has different values than I do (cigarettes and alcohol) but he is nice and helpful.
The town was busy because it was already after 11 when I left and being Monday, many people were eager to shop after Sunday. The shops are all closed in Greece on Sundays I'm happy to report. It's a family day and everyone gets a rest although the churches are closed now due to the virus.
I've been getting more and more paranoid when near other people. Most don't respect the two-meter distance and I am the one who has to walk on the street or cross the road. Of course, there has only been one instance of the virus infection on the island so far, but we're bound to have more, considering that the man who brought it from Athens likely spread it through the community before he had any symptoms. It's just a matter of time so I prefer to be extra careful. When I came back to the boat, I left the grocery bags on the bow for half an hour before bringing them into the cockpit and even there left them in the sun to burn off any virus they might harbour.


After lunch and a nap, I tackled the galley foot pump that has been leaking and after taking it all apart found that the bellows had cracks along the edge where it is attached and so the source of the leaks. I found the email address of the company that makes them in Taiwan and asked for replacements but likely will need to buy a new one. 

TMC foot pump for the galley.

And so the day is nearly done. Pork chop with potatoes and onions for dinner, the bone into the soup. And later, Ryan and Justin and I will try playing a board game online together.

Statistics: 15,151 tests, with 5% of the infected needing medical treatment. There are 95 new cases, total 1,156. There are 69 people intubated of which 47% will die, 38 deaths (29 men, 9 women, average age 71) 92% of the dead had underlying health conditions. Lockdown extended to April 11.
Greece is managing well so far: 102 cases/1,000,000 people.
    

No comments: