Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Winter on board Eidos

I am not very fond of winter. Even in Greece. Mostly it's because it gets dark early, it's cold and it often rains. So, usually, I pack up Eidos and haul it out in a boatyard, then pack a carry-on and hop on the nearest bus, ferry or plane to a warm and sunny place or to visit family. 
This winter, tired of traveling and living out of a small suitcase, I decided to stay on board in Lefkas marina. I was surprised because it hasn't been all that bad. After six weeks of rain, the sun came out and it looks like now spring is almost here. There are other liveaboards and expats here to socialize with, the town is near for shopping, and I have all the comforts and convenience of my own home.
Now, that the back of the winter has been broken, the days are getting longer and I'm looking forward to spring and another season of sailing.
And so, the first thing I need to do to prepare for summer is spring cleaning. 

Starting with the galley, one cupboard at a time. While looking for some empty jars to put away the dried shitake mushrooms my son sent me, I discovered treasures from the summer's bounty. Homemade pickles, peppers, and sun-dried tomatoes!

No comments: